c. 1787-1790
Patrick St. Lawrence
or the
 "Yellow House"

Pittsborough (Pittsboro) N.C.
c. 1787
The Patrick St. Lawrence House-Tavern was built in the newly formed town of Pittsborough North Carolina, c. 1787, on one of the corner lots. The town on the new Town Square. Mr. St. Lawrence one of the towns early commissioners and help to plan the town's plat in the Lancaster Square Plan.








Patrick St Lawrence house owned by:  Mrs. Emily T. Bower c. 1955


New! February 2, 2016

Two new pages have been added to the web site.

St. Lawrence Tavern

 Porches










It has been stated that the St. Lawrence house was first built to be used as an inn (ordinary). There are some unique features that help to support this idea. A large wood panel wall was built in two sections that can be lifted, fastened to the ceiling and creating a 27 ft. X 27 ft. ball or meeting room. When the wall was lowered, the home became a center hall design.  The house was first located on town lot No. 50, directly facing the court house in the town square. When the court was in session, there was a need for food, lodging and  places for social gatherings.

The St. Lawrence house has changed ownership numerous times over the past
225 years. It has served as a residence, tavern (ordinary) or inn and a dormitory for the Pittsborough Academy students. The house has been moved three times and currently sits on its forth foundation. There have been few changes to the interior of the house other than the fireplaces, mantels and removal of the plaster, but the exterior now has a Victorian designed front porch, enclosed back porch and the removal of all chimneys.
Information  needed, pictures of the Patrick St. Lawrence "Yellow House" , copies of pictures or oil paints related to Patrick St. Lawrence or his  yellow house that you would like t o share , please contact: Ray Carney at :
ray63carney@gmail.com

Thanks for any help with this project!

Ray

 

 

Town Plat
Pittsborough NC
C. 1787

 

St. Lawrence TavernRestoration ProjectsRestoration InformationHistoric House HuntingRestoration
Patrick St. LawrenceNews ArticlesPittsborough (Pittsboro)Georgian House